Following is the sequence we will use for practice.
Talk about the fundamentals of getting an out by tagging the runner. Start with Coach tag, then with players. This time using the bases as "safe base".
- Line up along baseline
- Glove Pointing to Target, Arm Outstretched, Fingers on Top
- Elbow High, small stride to target, follow through
- Throw for distance
We'll divide into two teams and start actually scrimmaging a little. On deck batter will start with some tee work, all other players stay in the dugout. Explain rules to kids
- no lead-ofs, no steals, cannot leave base until ball is hit
- each player gets 5 pitches, no matter if they are balls or strikes
- after 5 pitches, the hitter gets one chance off the tee
- this is not a punishment but just a way to keep the game moving
- if you are out, you need to come of the bases and return to the dugout
- Hit soft balls into fence from soft toss, work on hands together on bat, swing hard
- No more than 5 swings and then rotate