The players should be able to grip a ball correctly, successfully attempt an overhand throw, run the bases with guidance swing and play in the field.
Following is the sequence we will use for practice.
Big league base running.
We will choose a team name.
We'll divide into two teams and start actually scrimmaging a little. On deck batter will start with some tee work, all other players stay in the dugout. Explain rules to kids
- no lead-ofs, no steals, cannot leave base until ball is hit
- each player gets 5 pitches, no matter if they are balls or strikes
- after 5 pitches, the hitter gets one chance of the tee
- this is not a punishment but just a way to keep the game moving
- if you are out, you need to come of the bases and return to the dugout
- Hit soft balls into fence from tee, work on hands together on bat, swing hard
- No more than 5 swings and then rotate