The players should be able to grip a ball correctly, successfully attempt an overhand throw, run the bases with guidance swing and play in the field.
Following is the sequence we will use for practice.
Big league base running.
We will choose a team name.
- Start with no glove and playground ball, eyes on ball, catch with hands
- Next, move to small soft ball, same drill
- Put glove on, emphasize thumb down, glove at chest, catch with 2 hands
- Hit soft balls into fence, work on hands together on bat, swing hard
- No more than 5 swings and then rotate
- Kids at 3rd, SS, 2nd and Coach at 1st
- Wide base, glove on ground, alligator ball into glove
- Line all kids up facing you and be quick
- Throw to coach with fundamentals
- Line up along baseline
- Glove Pointing to Target, Arm Outstretched, Fingers on Top
- Elbow High, small stride to target, follow through
- Throw for distance